Friday, July 2, 2010

intro the bike

06-24-10

Don’t remember what time I wrote this

Zang, Lei Lei and another labmate took me to eat Szechuan food today for lunch; it was good. I took a photograph of the food. Basically, you pick various ingredients and they weigh it all and charge you, then fry it up with copious peppers/seasonings/green onions. It was good, but I found a mealworm in mine; we had them replace the food. It didn’t really hurt anyone’s appetite. The truly terrifying part for me was that we rode bikes to get to the restaurant; I have not ridden a bike since I learned how at the ripe old age of seventeen. Most bikes have a small metal seat behind the main seat where you can sit sidestraddle; that’s how I got there. I was terrified and held onto my rider’s waist for dear life; I later realized most people hold onto the seat and did that instead.

Afterwards, we stopped off at a kiosk where I added money to a bus card Zang procured for me. I was reading Aseem’s blog about how much he spent for his metro pass in Europe; read this and weep, Aseem: I put on 50 RMB and expect it to last the whole 3 months; one ride with the student card costs 0.4RMB (RMB 0.4= USD 0.06¢; 50RMB=125 rides). It also works on the subway (!)

This afternoon I went with Drew and Robert (I’m going to refer to him as Cuningham from now on; it’s what we all call him) because they wanted to buy bikes; we bargained and eventually purchased two (RMB 250= USD $36.28 each). I rode on the back of the bike home, and later that night to the market; we almost died only maybe once or twice. Kidding! I was only really scared once or so. Their bikes had a greater tendency to fishtail, which is slightly alarming when you are sitting on the tail end.

Robert and Drew and Katherine went out last night; I couldn’t make it but apparently because of the US World Cup game (the one where we won in the eleventh hour) it was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment